Tuesday, June 30, 2009

No more Nemo...

While we've been discussing "nature" in class, I've usually been picturing forests and other parts of "wilderness." But today when Clara told me about the coral reefs in Florida where she lives, I remembered that "nature" encompasses underwater life as well.

If anyone's interested in oceans, check out this report about the problems humans have created for coral reefs: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/programs/coral/threats.htm

Here's one of the main sources: "Beach nourishment projects, in which large volumes of sand are re-located from offshore to onshore, can cause severe impacts to reefs." (I owe Clara for letting me know about this)

Does anyone think that humans, because they need to keep dumping sand on the coasts, shouldn't be allowed to live so close to the shore?

The way I see it, it's a shame to destroy the incredible diversity of animals in the reefs. ):

No comments: