Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A comment about The Ecological Indian

I just wanted to comment on what I thought was one of the most important things Krech did throughout his book -- He consistently named specific tribes, as well as citing the differences between them. I think this is especially important considering his comment about masking cultural diversity; he does a great job of differentiating the various tribes and their cultures. Good job Krech, for avoiding generalizations! (It definitely made me respect him more as an author when I noticed that he had not fallen into a very tempting trap.)

1 comment:

Jackie Wu said...

This is a really great point. I love how, for the deer example, he mentions that the Cherokee believed in reincarnation but that the Cherokee are only one tribe. You cannot just take the beliefs of one and and apply it to the overall concept. Other tribes may not have believed in reincarnation and perhaps they did try to save the white-tailed deer from being wiped out.


Sorry, originally posted with the wrong account.