Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Poacher



Hello everyone!
I thought the lecture on Bruegel today was interesting, so I looked up more of his works and I came across this one called "The Poacher". The way I look at the picture, it seems to me that Bruegel is poking fun at the poachers. The whimsical expression of the poacher in the center as well as the comedy from the man in the tree make the scene humourous. This seems to contrast the sternness of the Gaston pictures.



What do you guys think? Any other opinions about this piece?






2 comments:

Jim Tantillo said...

that's a great painting! and I found a high resolution scan of it on Artstor through the Cornell library. This one may be a good one to add to my Bruegel slides!

Wallace C. said...

Since Bruegel is at the heart of the [Flemish] Renaissance, I believe that there is almost a need for him to show the figures in the painting in the way that he does; for these painters, true human qualities make a work of art and are necessary to make it come alive. I think that Bruegel is depicting a scene in which he is poking fun at these seemingly untrained poachers and by doing so he may even be mocking Gaston's book by saying how even these idiots can hunt.